Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Who says mockery isn't fun?

Ariel and I used to spend a lot of time singing Dr. Seuss-style operas while cleaning the house or doing homework. We aren't with each other very much anymore, but when we are, it usually gets commemorated in some weird way. I just came across this poem we wrote about a month ago. If you don't catch on, it's based in the style (or lack of style) of post-modern poetry. It sounds pretty decent, but it's actually just a bunch of snippets of our conversation with each other throughout the day.

The Poem of Today 8/21/08

There was a cow
She was my friend
In the crystal blue of the ocean
Her name was Shaniqua.
You float like a butterfly
On steroids.
Let’s negotiate; I’ll get a paper
They like hair gel
How do you
Know a cockroach’s preferences?
The bathroom is filth-wretchedness
Like two-week-old bologna in the hands
Of an orphan in Africa
To eat cold SPAM is far worse
Now that I know what I was looking for
And that it won’t be found, I will progress.

2 comments:

N said...

Nice...and the scary thing is that it really just sounds like modern poetry!

Alisha said...

I absolutely LOVED this Lauren!! You weren't kidding when you said it is like modern poetry. You were right on!!